Intel Core i5-8400 CPU Review: Page 2 of 6
Posted by Damon Bailey on Thursday, October 5, 2017 - 9:00am
Features & Specifications
8th Generation Intel® Core™ processor-based desktop platforms are loaded with new and enhanced features to deliver amazing experiences that five-year-old systems can’t handle.
Great VR experiences involve the entire platform, not just any one component. The ideal combination of processor, graphics, I/O connectivity, display, and audio are required. A high-performance processor is key to achieving a balanced platform to make your VR experiences great. Attach your premium head-mounted display (HMD) to an Intel® Core™ i7 or i5 processor-based PC, and prepare to be amazed.
Outstanding gaming experiences extend beyond your personal smooth gameplay to your entire gaming community. The 8th Generation Intel® Core™ processor family makes it easy to share those experiences by live-streaming or recording, editing, and posting your epic highlights. To perform at your best, get a great gaming PC powered by an 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 processor that lets you live—and share—the ultimate gaming experience.
Ultra-high Definition Entertainment
To play premium movie streams in stunning 4K UHD, get an advanced platform that supports the latest media technologies enabling today’s great entertainment. Desktop computers based on the 8th Generation Intel® Core™ processors integrate advanced media technologies that bring premium, high-quality content to your desktop, including:
HEVC 10-bit encode/decode, VP9 10-bit decode:
Delivering smooth streaming of premium 4K UHD entertainment to your PC from leading online providers
Providing full-size, screen-immersive viewing experiences with 4K video and 360-degree viewing
Enabling incredible 4K video creation and sharing with ease
Ultimate Protection Built Into the Silicon
8th Generation Intel® Core™ processors integrate hardware-level technologies that strengthen the protection of your enabled security1 software. Hardware-based security helps you experience online and offline activities with peace of mind, enabled by features that include:
Intel® Software Guard Extensions (Intel® SGX)1 to help applications protect your system and your data
Intel® BIOS Guard and Intel® Boot Guard to help protect your system during startup
Scalable Portfolio of Processors
The 8th Generation Intel® Core™ processor family is a great investment in your desktop experiences—whether for gaming, entertainment, or general-purpose computing wherever your life takes you. From the jaw-dropping performance of the 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8700K processor with six cores to the practical capabilities of the 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i3-8100 processor, our latest generation of desktop processors fits a wide range of budgets and needs. Whether you’re a performance-hungry professional, an exceptional enthusiast, or a first-time buyer, there is an 8th Generation Intel® Core™ processor that will enable the experiences you seek. If form factor is your priority, the 8th Generation Intel® Core™ processor family offers a range of processors designed for desktop PCs from high- performance gaming towers, to slick, and stylish all-in-ones, to compact living room minis.
Prepare to be Amazed with the 8th Generation Intel® Core™ Desktop Processor Family
The 8th Generation Intel® Core™ processors are raising the bar of desktop computing with innovations to drive exciting experiences, capabilities, and form factors. Experience all the amazing things you and a new 8th Generation Intel® Core™ processor-powered PC can do.
Intel® Core™ i5-8400 Processor Key Features
Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0: Dynamically increases the processor frequency up to 4.0GHz when applications demand more performance. Speed when you need it, energy efficiency when you don’t.
Intel® Smart Cache: 9MB of shared cached allows faster access to your data by enabling dynamic and efficient allocation of the cache to match the needs of each core significantly reducing latency to frequently used data and improving performance.
Integrated Memory Controller: Supports 2 channels of DDR4-2666 memory with 2 DIMMs per channel.
PCI Express* 3.0 Interface: Supports up to 8 GT/s for fast access to peripheral devices and networking with up to 16 lanes configurable as 1x16, 2x8, or 1x8 and 2x4 depending on the motherboard design.
Chipset/Motherboard Compatibility: Compatible with all Intel® 300 Series chipsets with the latest BIOS and drivers.
Intel® UHD Graphics 630: Integrated 3D performance with support for Microsoft DirectX* 12 and Ultra HD 4K resolution display for immersive mainstream gaming. For Microsoft DirectX* 12 testing, the performance-tuned Intel graphics driver is expected to be available for download on Intel Download Center by the 8th generation Intel® Core™ processor family product introduction. The Intel® UHD Graphics 630 dynamic graphics frequency ranges up to 1105MHz.
Vibrant Media: Enhanced, built-in visual features deliver a seamless visual PC experience for rich Ultra HD 4K entertainment and HD gaming.
Intel® Quick Sync Video Technology: Media processing for incredibly fast conversion of video files for portable media players or online sharing including support for HEVC 10-bit (H.265) encode/decode to playback premium 4K Ultra HD content from selected service providers.
· Product Collection - 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i5 Processors
· Code Name - Products formerly Coffee Lake
· Vertical Segment - Desktop
· Processor Number - i5-8400
· Status - Launched
· Launch Date - Q4'17
· Lithography - 14 nm
· Recommended Customer Price - N/A
· # of Cores - 6
· # of Threads - 6
· Processor Base Frequency - 2.80 GHz
· Max Turbo Frequency - 4.00 GHz
· Cache - 9 MB
· Bus Speed - 8 GT/s DMI3
· TDP - 65 W
· Embedded Options Available - No
· Conflict Free - Yes
· Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) - 64 GB
· Memory Types - DDR4-2666
· Max # of Memory Channels - 2
· ECC Memory Supported - No
· Processor Graphics - Intel® UHD Graphics 630
· Graphics Base Frequency - 350 MHz
· Graphics Max Dynamic Frequency - 1.05 GHz
· Graphics Video Max Memory - 64 GB
· Execution Units - 23
· 4K Support - Yes, at 60Hz
· Max Resolution (HDMI 1.4) - 4096x2304@24Hz
· Max Resolution (DP) - 4096x2304@60Hz
· Max Resolution (eDP - Integrated Flat Panel) - 4096x2304@60Hz
· DirectX* Support - 12
· OpenGL* Support - 4.5
· Intel® Quick Sync Video - Yes
· Intel® InTru™ 3D Technology - Yes
· Intel® Clear Video HD Technology - Yes
· Intel® Clear Video Technology - Yes
· # of Displays Supported - 3
· Device ID - 0x3E92
· Scalability - 1S Only
· PCI Express Revision3.0
· PCI Express Configurations - Up to 1x16 or 2x8 or 1x8+2x4
· Max # of PCI Express Lanes -16
· Max CPU Configuration - 1
· Thermal Solution Specification - PCG 2015C (65W)
· TJUNCTION - 100°C
· Package Size - 37.5mm x 37.5mm
· Low Halogen Options Available - See MDDS
· Intel® Optane™ Memory Supported - Yes
· Intel® Turbo Boost Technology - 2.0
· Intel® vPro™ Technology - No
· Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology - No
· Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x) - Yes
· Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d) - Yes
· Intel® VT-x with Extended Page Tables (EPT) - Yes
· Intel® TSX-NI - No
· Intel® 64 - Yes
· Instruction Set - 64-bit
· Instruction Set Extensions - SSE4.1/4.2, AVX2
· Idle States - Yes
· Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology - Yes
· Thermal Monitoring Technologies - Yes
· Intel® Identity Protection Technology - Yes
· Intel® Stable Image Platform Program (SIPP) - No
Security & Reliability
· Intel® AES New Instructions - Yes
· Secure Key - Yes
· Intel® Software Guard Extensions (Intel® SGX) - Yes
· Intel® Memory Protection Extensions (Intel® MPX) - Yes
· Intel® OS Guard - Yes
· Intel® Trusted Execution Technology - No
· Execute Disable Bit - Yes
· Intel® Boot Guard - Yes