Googler has declared war on ad blockers

Home Forums Hardware Software Googler has declared war on ad blockers

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Ad blocker use is on the rise. More and more ways of letting people block ads are being introduced to market. Apple, for instance, will allow ad blocking on iPhones, and there is a mobile phone service carrier plan to allow ad blocking across entire networks. 

Ad blocking poses an existential threat to publishers and big sellers of digital ads like Google —which is reported to have lost as much as $6.6 billion in revenue to ad blockers last year.

Now one former Googler is fighting back against the blockers.

Sourcepoint is launching Thursday with $10 million in Series A investment funding. The company’s CEO and co-founder is Ben Barokas, the former general manager of marketplace development at Google. He moved to Google in 2011, when it acquired his online advertising optimization company Admeld for $400 million.

Speaking to Business Insider, Barokas explained that to solve the existential crisis ad blockers pose to publishers, Sourcepoint wants to help the publishing community solve two problems: It has the technology to punch through “all the ad blockers.

http://www.businessinsider.com/former-google-exec-launches-sourcepoint-with-10-million-series-a-funding-2015-6#ixzz3de9Xsdjk

Anwnimos
    Participant

Actually if they change the way ads work most people wouldn’t mind having a few ads. I disable my ad blocker on sites that have few ads or elegant ones. That freakin pop up window or ads that take the whole place and you can’t read anything on the page has to stop! Maybe that’s that they should focus on!

JMRK
    Participant

They brought it on themselves. If they had stuck with unobtrusive ads people may not have been so quick to jump to block them. I don’t watch ads on TV and I certainly don’t want then auto-playing on my web pages. I’d rather just stop going to a particular site if I couldn’t block the ads.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.