How often for a new build?

Home Forums All about ProClockers Talk to the Team How often for a new build?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Sunshyn
    Participant

I’m just curious how often you all do a new build? I remember, once upon a time, I’d get or build a new computer every 2 years and hand-me-down the older one through the rest of the household. Money got a hell of a lot tighter since due to frequent layoffs and my business fading, yet I still find myself craving a new build every 2 years.

I’ve been hoping I’ll win something big enough (like a killer graphics card or motherboard) or just enough parts that I can rationalize putting together a new one by next Spring, which would put it at 2 years again.

Steve-O
    Participant

For most people, it would most likely depend on their budget.

If I could afford it, I would build a new PC every month!  Smile

Realistically, I “try” to build or at least modify an existing PC every two years.

Yes
    Participant

I have three machines.  Two desktops and a gaming laptop.  I keep laptops 5 years, but usually do a new desktop build every two to three.  This doesn’t include video card updates though 🙂

SteveOx1

Yes, around every 2 years is about when I start thinking about a new build. With new GPU’s and CPUs coming out every year; It seems around 2 years is a good turn around point for a build. I can’t help but to want to tinker; drives my wife nuts either with building a PC, tweaking settings, or rooting a phone.  I enjoy it; but now that my son is getting older, he’s wanting his own Rig as he loves to run games on mine. Figure I’ll have to start a build soon and pass this one down to the next generation of Gamer. 

Just last week I had a mobo, cpu and Ram sitting in the shopping cart at Newegg; but then I starting thinking about this:

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/53982/amds-next-gen-am4-socket-spotted-features-1331-pins/index.html?utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_content=57e00e1504d30157c6f70867&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

But, it’s still sitting in the cart at Newegg; just in case…lol

Cheers,

Ox

Sunshyn
    Participant

Just last week I had a mobo, cpu and Ram sitting in the shopping cart at Newegg; but then I starting thinking about this:

There is always a bit of a balance required about whether to wait on this or that shiny new tech isn’t there? Maybe I can choose some upcoming technology to use as a reason to put it off an extra year…

I’d much rather win the grand or second place prize here as I’ve decided that I’d take that as a sign to start pulling together a system for early next year since my current gamer will be 2yo then laugh. That would give me an excuse to actually shop the Black Friday deals. I went more economical than ever on the current system, which is probably a reason I’m already thinking hard on an upgrade. Still annoyed with myself for not shelling out for a DDR4 board, but those had only recently come out and were over my price range.

Sir-diealot
    Participant

Every 4-6 years for me, I just have to get my 1080 ti if I can in the spring (Or Titan) the side panel I want and a monitor and then I will not build for at least 4 years as I really do need new furniture, bed and a vehicle.

Hotair10
    Participant

I’d say every 2 years is a good pace to make major updates to a build. As for a new build altogether, it really does depend on finances. Every 5 years would make sense to me, although for some people that isn’t nearly often enough.

xscmp
    Participant

I tend to use my builds longer than most people.

slugbug55
    Participant

For me it’s usually every few years. I’m on a fixed budget and earn my computer upgrade/build money by doing paid surveys etc which earn me points I can redeem for Amazon gift cards. That plus some contest wins helped me build my current Z97 rig.

Hotair10
    Participant

Nothing wrong with building on supplementary income. That survey money definitely adds up. Used to do that a few years ago and have been thinking about trying to get back into it.

Sunshyn
    Participant

Yeh. I earn Paypal and Amazon money from Swagbucks since I’m stuck in front of the computer all day anyway. I guess some others are quicker and limit more, but this one works for me. It’ll take awhile to earn enough for a new build, but it really does add up. 🙂 

If anyone is interested in signing up, here’s my referal link:

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/TheSunshyn

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.