Intel Core i5 6600K CPU Review

Home Forums All about ProClockers ProClockers Reviews Intel Core i5 6600K CPU Review

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Draelren
    Participant

On release day, we brought you a review of Intel’s mainstream Skylake flagship, the i7 6700K. Today, we will focus another Skylake, the far more affordable Core i5-6600K. The new processor architecture based on Intel’s newest generation 14nm process FinFET lithographic technology. It promises decreased power consumption and increased performance. Like its more expensive i7 sibling, the i5 6600K is also features an unlocked multiplier and is sure to be popular with enthusiasts.

One of the most notable new changes is the use of DDR4 memory. DDR4 memory was first introduced with Haswell-E just shy of a year ago. Prices were high and many people stayed away. Since then the prices have dropped and become much more affordable. Where Hawsell was limited to around 2666 MT/s, Skylake bumps that up to a staggering 4133 MT/s.

Skylake also brings Intel latest HD Graphics technology. The Core i5-6600K we are reviewing today features HD 530 graphics and Intel claims that it is dramatically faster than the HD 4000 graphics that came with Haswell.

For Skylake-K, Intel has added more extensive overclocking features, chipset support for NVMe drives. Of course there are the new IPC enhancements that offer up to 10% better performance over Haswell too.

Read More

ychen
    Participant

Thanks for the review

TeeBlack
    Participant

good review

fourpixel

Thanks for the review! I’ll be getting this processor once I got an ITX board.

Contmanest
    Participant

I been looking at processors to buy. Cause they are rare giveaways by then selves. This helped some with my choosing. Now to find stuff to sell to see if I can get the cash together.

anonynamja

Thanks for the review!

ToriRheaCo

Nice Review!! 😀

Sir-diealot
    Participant

Good review.

Admin1

We published this review awhile ago, in fact I still have the 6600K chip. If I remember correctly Heath had an easier time hitting 5Ghz with this chip than he did with the 6700K chip that we received from Intel.

zangza
    Participant

Great info guys, Intel is kicked some butt and hasnt stopped for sometime.  As mentioned Admin1, not all chips can hit the same performance when overclocking but it is exciting figuring out which could.  GReat review guys, thanks

J Techman

I’m getting ready to start a Mini ITX build, I was thinking about using a 6600k. However does anyone have any advise on AMD Zen. Should I wait till the release and go Team Red?

Gioppe
    Participant

Yep, this is a nice CPU.

fwreed3
    Participant

Sounds great, I could definitely use it!

electrolics
    Participant

How much better is it compared to i5 2400?

xscmp
    Participant

Can you tell me why you could overclock the i5 6600K and not i7 6700K to its higher limit. Was it Silicon lottery or is there reason related to cpu architecture for the two? I am learning about different CPU overclocking and looking into overclocking my 6700K, so any pointers would be helpful. 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.