Meet the people pushing their PCs to the limit

Home Forums All about ProClockers Talk to the Team Meet the people pushing their PCs to the limit

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Sir-diealot
    Participant

Meet the people pushing their PCs to the limit

I thought many here would like this.

Frames per second are an afterthought for Goddy ‘Vivi’ Roodt, South Africa’s champion overclocker who placed second in June’s G.SKILL OC World Cup and once coaxed 6.7 GHz from an i7 4770K—almost twice its base clock speed. He is one of a breed of elite overclockers who scour component lines for perfect specimens and cool them using dry ice or liquid nitrogen for an edge on competitive benchmarking leaderboards. 

“That 4770K was a cool story,” Roodt says. “Some guy used it 24/7, and the box price is about $270. When I saw how well it performed, I messaged that guy and said, ‘I’ll give you $1,000 for your CPU.’ He was quite happy about that!” 

To me, a man mistrustful of the howl my graphics card gives out on going up a few megahertz, paying way over the odds and stockpiling liquid nitrogen like a B-movie scientist seems a lot of work for smoother edges and fancier shadows. Each year, however, industry sponsors stump up cash and components for international challengers to push to their breaking points in extreme overclocking contests: the Intel OC Challenge, MSI Master Overclocking Arena, and the HyperX OC Takeover are among the most prestigious. Roodt, with the air of a man who’s had to justify his expenses to more than one baffl ed friend, makes clear the gulf between overclocking for games and for glory. 

“After two hours you stop, because your entire system freezes over and it becomes too wet. You have to insulate your motherboard with electrical tape and vaseline and whatever you can find, so it gets really ugly, but the practical use… there’s no practical use for overclocking! It’s like Formula One racing where you’re not going to race your car to the shopping centre.” 

Read more @ http://www.pcgamer.com/meet-the-people-pushing-their-pcs-to-the-limit/

RealNeil
    Participant

I like to read about their records, but I see no practical uses for us plebes.

Sir-diealot
    Participant

I like to read about their records, but I see no practical uses for us plebes.

I am in the same boat, I could never afford to do that.

TheRamblingMan
    Participant

and people said reading the directions will help you…..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.