Nvidia is putting desktop-caliber GTX 980 GPUs in laptops

Home Forums Hardware Portable Computing Nvidia is putting desktop-caliber GTX 980 GPUs in laptops

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

When Nvidia launched the 980M last October, it claimed that the laptop GPU could hit 75-80% of the performance of the desktop card. That was impressive compared to the mobile GPUs of a generation or two back, but not as impressive as what Nvidia’s done now: fit the entire, uncompromised desktop 980 GPU into gaming laptops. Starting early October with six laptops from MSI, Gigabyte, Asus and Clevo, the GTX 980 is making its way into laptops, with all 2048 CUDA cores intact. And it’s overclockable.

http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-is-putting-desktop-caliber-gtx-980-gpus-in-laptops/

Admin1

Thanks for posting Kevin !

killjoyjim

Nice.My son is getting a MSI lap top.

oric10
    Participant

Yeah, but the clock speed is limited compared to the desktop version

I imagine there will be other drawbacks to the end product regardless of how impressive it is. The key problem will always be power consumption in a Laptop. It’s not even so much about space anymore, you can get tiny motherboards and tiny graphics handlers already and you can fit them all nicely inside a large form factor laptop case. I’ll be really interested to see what they have done regarding power consumption. Sure, you could likely miniaturize the full scale desktop hardware and squeeze it in to a laptop case but your battery would last all of 20 minutes.

Genuinely interested to see these benchmarked though.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.