Seagate’s 8TB HDD for just $260

Home Forums Hardware Storage Seagate’s 8TB HDD for just $260

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Seagate, using its new shingled magnetic recording (SMR) technology to cram more data into fewer platters, is preparing to launch an 8TB hard drive priced at just $260. For that low-low price (just over 3 cents per gig!) you get a three-year warranty and very low power consumption — but certainly not performance. This 8TB drive is all about long-term storage and backups — pair it with a new SSD like the Samsung 850 Pro or 850 Evo and you’d have a very flexible, cost-effective storage setup.

Seagate’s first shingled hard drives now shipping: 8TB for just $260

killjoyjim

Nice deal. I need a good 2-3 tb for my rig.

TeeBlack
    Participant

that's a good price but would you trust an 8gig Seagate hdd is the real question.

Hellfire
    Participant

heheeh I'd trust an 8GB Seagate the same way I'd trust an 8GB WD, Hitachi, or Samsung…

PM_DMNKLR
    Participant

This would certainly be perfect for me to use for hosting my own file server. Of course, maybe just as a backup to a 4x2TB RAID 0 array (the real drives used for the server), but still, that’s a juicy peach for sure. 🙂

And yes, I’d trust them, just as I’d trust Samsung and WD. Hitachi, on the other hand, lol… no way.

dacul
    Participant

They are planning to release in 2015 the 10 TB model, having six 1.66 TB smr platters.Yes, there might be drawbacks regarding performance for such  capacity, but with more DRAM caches it can be solved. I would use it in a NAS. As far as I know in the market are WD and their HGST (Hitachi), Seagate ( Maxtor), Toshiba and Samsung. I don’t know others and I believe they do the same thing.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.