Windows 10 Has Reached RTM

Home Forums Hardware Software Windows 10 Has Reached RTM

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Microsoft was originally projected to finalize work on Windows 10 one week ago, but because of a number of bug fixes and improvements that were still needed, the company decided to push RTM back for one week, so today this important milestone has finally been reached.

The build number that’s supposed to be RTM is 10240, just as we reported to you not a long time ago, but Microsoft won’t release it to insiders before July 29.

Insiders will, however, receive a different build sometime very soon, but it’s not yet clear which version this new release could be. All Windows 10 testers have already been moved to TH1, which is generally known as the RTM branch, so Microsoft could provide them with a release candidate ahead of the big launch on July 29.

Free for Windows 7 and 8.1 users

Windows 10 will be offered as a free upgrade to users running genuine Windows 7 and 8.1 on their computers, but the promo will last for only one year, meaning that those who qualify for the offer need to perform this upgrade during the first 12 months after launch.

Windows 10 would continue to receive updates free of charge during the entire supported lifetime of their devices, Microsoft confirmed.

On July 29, Windows insiders will be the first to receive Windows 10 RTM, while upgraders will get it in waves shortly after that, depending on the number of compatibility issues that Microsoft finds on their computers.

The priority, however, is to upgrade all those eligible to Windows 10, Microsoft says, so the company is ready to launch a global campaign that would encourage everyone running Windows 7 and 8.1 to give the new operating system a try.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/windows-10-has-reached-rtm-487002.shtml

Bob2701

Just updated my laptop to the latest build 10240 and gone is the “Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview” notation on the bottom of the screen as well as the expiration date.

I will have to find some time and see how different it is from build 10166.

Steve-O
    Participant

they’re coming down to the wire to get this finialized by July 29th.

toby

I am both very excited and very nervous about windows 10

werty316
    Participant

Not sure I’ll jump ship form Windows 7. I might give it a try and thats it probably.

Bob2701

Not sure I’ll jump ship form Windows 7. I might give it a try and thats it probably.

Anyone using 8 or 8.1 it is a no brainer…  Windows 7 users might want to wait a while.

Steve-O
    Participant

What are you really try to say here about Windows 8 and 8.1 Bob?  lol

Bob2701

I think you got it Steve.  LMAO.

Steve-O
    Participant

I think you got it Steve.  LMAO.

I thought so.   LOL

Sir-diealot
    Participant

Waiting for it to let me download and then I can install my Windows 8.1 on the computer I am giving to my friend that has been through a lot with cancer.

Bob2701

Waiting for it to let me download and then I can install my Windows 8.1 on the computer I am giving to my friend that has been through a lot with cancer.

That won’t work.  If the 8.1 is on your machine and you upgrade to Windows 10 then your 8.1 key and the new hidden 10 key are tied to your machine.  Once you use a key to upgrade you can’t go back and install it on another machine, you may downgrade from 10 with that key though.

toby

I am both very excited and very nervous about windows 10

Just recently took a look at my windows 10 notice yesterday and I cannot download windows 10 because my CPU is incompatible. I am on core 2 quad 9550. I know that processer may seem a little old to most people, but I didn’t think it would be that old. I am a little bummed by it as I really wanted to see and play with the new operating system.

Sir-diealot
    Participant

[quote=Sir-diealot]

That won’t work.  If the 8.1 is on your machine and you upgrade to Windows 10 then your 8.1 key and the new hidden 10 key are tied to your machine.  Once you use a key to upgrade you can’t go back and install it on another machine, you may downgrade from 10 with that key though.

[/quote]Oh darn well that sucks. Thank you very much for letting me know. He has a copy of 7 but 7 won’t recignize all the memory in the unit, when I got the computer I am giving him as part of the AMD Test Drive Program they ended up mailing out 8 after they had alread sent 7 because of this problem.

Bob2701

[quote=Bob2701]

[quote=Sir-diealot]

[/quote]Oh darn well that sucks. Thank you very much for letting me know. He has a copy of 7 but 7 won’t recignize all the memory in the unit, when I got the computer I am giving him as part of the AMD Test Drive Program they ended up mailing out 8 after they had alread sent 7 because of this problem.

[/quote]

He is most likely using the 32bit version on 7 which tops out at 4G of memory, he would need the 64bit version to see any memory above 4G.

Steve-O
    Participant

In case anyone didn’t know, it is possible to roll back from Windows 10 if you just don’t like it.

You can do this by going into settings, click on Recovery and there will be a “Go back to Windows 7” option.  (This can take anywhere from 5 to 30 min. depending on your system.)

The only caveat is, once you upgrade to Win 10 you will have only 30 days to change your mind to roll back. 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.