Our External of the Year Just Went Portable with the ThunderBay 4 Mini, Delivering Big Performance in a Small Footprint – Now up to 8TB with Sustained Speeds of up to 1,284MB/s!
Woodstock, IL – November 17, 2014 – Other World Computing (OWC®) http://www.macsales.com, a leading zero emissions Mac upgrade and storage technology company, announced today the release of the innovative ThunderBay 4 mini and ThunderBay 4 mini RAID 5 Edition, which builds on the proven performance and flexibility of its second generation ThunderBay 4.
Big Performance. Small Footprint. Easily transport your data between production environments with this portable, professional-grade Thunderbolt 2 RAID solution. Optimized for 2.5″ drives, the ThunderBay 4 mini delivers outstanding performance and reliability for the most demanding applications, including workflows involving 4K, 2K, uncompressed HD, and multi-stream SD video. Expand production capabilities in industry-leading creative platforms like Final Cut X, Avid Pro Tools, and Adobe Lightroom.
- Four 2.5″ drive bays, perfect for SSDs
- Breathtaking Thunderbolt 2 performance with sustained speeds of up to 1,284MB/s
- RAID-ready with up to 4TB of SSD storage (HDD up to 8TB)
- Near-silent operation
- SoftRAID 5 – first ever software RAID 5 for the Mac (available with ThunderBay 4 mini RAID 5 Edition)
- Flexibility to combine multiple ThunderBays into a single massive RAID array
- Regimented multi-hour drive “burn-in” for ultimate reliability
Thinking Outside the Enclosure
OWC unlocks the incredible performance and flexibility of ThunderBay by pairing the drives with a robust software RAID solution. Powered by the SoftRAID engine, ThunderBay 4 mini RAID 5 Edition delivers advanced RAID modes, real-time health monitoring with email notifications, and best-in-class rebuild speeds. Unlike traditional software RAID solutions, SoftRAID’s revolutionary volume optimization allows you to quickly configure your drive for specific workflows. Now you can experience the absolute best performance whether recording audio, editing 4K video, or creating a multimedia server.
“Our new ThunderBay 4 mini is perfect for mobile workflows involving demanding applications and large mission-critical files,” said Jen Soulé, OWC President. “The combination of RAID-ready capabilities and Thunderbolt 2 technology makes working with large 2K and 4K files easier, faster, and more flexible and affordable than ever before. Now users can get big performance in a small footprint – all in a portable, production-grade 4-Bay enclosure.”
The RAID 5 Advantage
Thunderbay 4 mini RAID 5 Edition is preconfigured in RAID 5 and supports RAID 0, 1, 4, 5, and 1+0 enabling you to achieve the optimal balance of storage, performance, and data-redundancy your workflow demands. With RAID 5, the four drives inside ThunderBay 4 mini are merged for increased capacity and tremendous performance gains over a single drive. Special redundancy data, called “parity information,” is also stored across the drives, allowing your data to remain completely safe so you can maintain your mission-critical workflows worry-free.
Each ThunderBay 4 mini undergoes OWC’s regimented multi-hour drive “burn-in” to ensure you experience the amazing performance of your drive right out of the box.
– ThunderBay 4 mini external drive
– 1 meter, certified, Thunderbolt cable and set of keys for front panel lock
– User guide and utility software bundle (Mac and PC)
|ThunderBay 4 mini||ThunderBay 4 mini (RAID 5 Edition)|
|Bring-Your-Own-Drives (BYOD)||$379.00||Bring-Your-Own-Drives (BYOD)||$479.00|
|2TB (500GB x four (4) 7200 RPM||$599.00||2TB (500GB x four (4) 7200 RPM)||$729.00|
|4TB (1TB x four (4) 7200 RPM)||$699.00||4TB (1TB x four (4) 7200 RPM)||$829.00|
|8TB (2TB x four (4) 5400 RPM)||$895.00||8TB (2TB x four (4) 5400 RPM)||$999.00|
|0.5TB (120GB x four (4) SSD)||$799.00||0.5TB (120GB x four (4) SSD)||$919.00|
|1TB (240GB x four (4) SSD)||$1,179.00||1TB (240GB x four (4) SSD)||$1,265.00|
|2TB (480GB x four (4) SSD)||$1,699.00||2TB (480GB x four (4) SSD)||$1,815.00|
|4TB (960GB x four (4) SSD)||$2,399.00||4TB (960GB x four (4) SSD)||$2,499.00|
One-Stop Destination for Thunderbolt Upgrades and Solutions
OWC’s Thunderbolt upgrades and solutions are available at: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Thunderbolt/
The OWC Advantage – Over 20 Years of Storage Design and Innovation
– OWC tested for compatibility, speed, flexibility, and reliability
– Comprehensive step-by-step installation and support videos
– 24/7 award-winning, US-based support
OWC is the manufacturer and upgrade provider of choice for Apple enthusiasts with OWC Memory upgrades for Apple computers dating as far back as the mid 90’s. Over the last decade, OWC specifically built SSD upgrades for Apple computers winning multiple awards while also earning accolades for OWC External Drives and OWC Optical Drives. OWC also provides extensive US-based technical support for Mac users around the world. As a member of the Apple Developer Program, OWC also produces a catalog of upgrades and accessories having served the Apple community worldwide since 1988.
OWC’s Industry Awards Include:
– Inc. 5,000 “Fastest Growing Privately Owned Companies in America” list honoree 2007–2013
– Reseller Ratings Elite Member 2009-2014
– Better Business Bureau Top Rating of A+ 2010–2014
– About.com Readers’ Choice Award winner for best Mac Peripheral Reseller
– Business Intelligence Group 2013 Green Tech Company of the Year
– American Business Awards “Stevie” Gold (2012) and Silver (2014)