Imagine making huge progress in Apex Legends the other night, only for you to wake up the next day with your PS4 not turning on. Now, that’s a complete bummer!
Several PlayStation 4 (PS4) users have reported the issue of ‘PS4 not turning on’ or ‘loss of games due to PS4 not turning on’ on various tech forums. There are several reasons that may result in such an issue. In this post, we will discuss the probable causes behind the ‘PS4 not turning on’ issue, along with the solutions. Also, you’ll find an effective way to recover lost games from a not turning on PS4.
Reasons for the ‘PS4 Not Turning On’ Issue and the Solutions thereof
Let’s address the probable reasons behind the issue, along with the solutions.
Reason 1: Dust/Dirt Accumulation
Sometimes, the issue occurs due to dust accumulation on vital components via open slots and vents provided in the body of console.
Solution: Use a mild air blower (not the hot blower) to blow air into the body of the PS4 gaming console to remove the dust.
Note: If your PS4 is under warranty, do not open the console as it may violate the warranty. You can blow air through the open vents.
Reason 2: Power Cord Malfunction
Loosely attached or damaged power cord interrupts the power supply, resulting in PS4 not turning on.
Solution: In this case, do the following.
- Unplug the power cord and wait for 30-40 seconds. Plug it again properly and try to turn on the console. If the problem remains, try the next one.
- Turn off the console by pressing the power button (till the PS4 appears off). Once the light stops flashing or after 30 seconds, detach the power cord and leave the console idle for 20-25 minutes. Then, press the power button again while keeping the power cord disconnected. Plug-in the cable properly and try to turn on your PS4.
- If none of the above works, replace the power cable. PS4 uses an IEC C7 power cord.
Reason 3: Power Surge
Sudden power surge might cause damage to the power points or other circuit elements of console.
Solution: You should probably get it checked by the authorized professional. Do not try to turn on the device forcefully as it may aggravate the issue.
Reason 4: Faulty Power Button
You’re not able to turn on your PS4 if there is a fault in the power button.
Solution: First, remove the metal cover of the power button and check for any out-of-place part or if it is twisted or bent. If you need to replace the power button, it is as easy as replacing the hard disk. However, it is suggested to take the help of a professional.
Reason 5: HDMI or USB Cable Loosely Connected or Faulty
The ‘PS4 not turning on’ issue might also be caused due a faulty or loosely connected HDMI or USB cable.
Solution: Check whether the cables are properly connected. You can also try using another HDMI/USB cables to check if the current cables are faulty. If you found any problem, replace the cables with the new ones.
Run PS4 in ‘Safe Mode’ to Resolve ‘PS4 not turning on’ Issue
When you run the PS4 gaming console in ‘Safe Mode’, it starts with only the most essential and basic functions. To start your PS4 in Safe Mode, follow the steps below:
- Shut down your PS4 and drain the residual power by detaching the power supply and pushing the power button for 30 seconds.
- Leave the console idle for a minimum of 20 minutes.
- Press the ‘Power’ button and hold it until you hear the second beep.
- Connect the controller USB to the console controller port.
- Press the ‘PS’ button.
- On the safe mode screen, you will find eight options (discussed below).
- Restart PS4: This forces your system to restart normally.
- Change Resolution: It resets the screen resolution to 480p that helps if the problem you are facing is due to screen issues.
- Update System Software: Once your system boots up in Safe Mode, there is high probability that your PS4 is facing software issues. Updating the software would resolve the issue.
- Restore Default Settings: In case you have altered any settings, this option will set it right without deleting the data.
- Rebuild Database: Select this option with the controller and let the process to finish. It removes the corrupted data and reorganizes the stored files thus improving the performance of your PS4.
- Initialize PS4: This resets your console to original settings, thereby deleting all the user data, including settings.
- Initialize PS4 (Reinstall System Software): This option deletes all the user data and settings. It also eliminates the firmware of your PS4.
- Set HDCP Mode: Available only with PS4 Pro, this option allows you to choose HDCP 1.40 to visualize images that will not be available on 4K TVs incompatible with HDCP 2.2.
How to Recover Lost Games from ‘not turning on’ PS4?
If you’re still facing the issue and afraid of losing your game files, then do not panic. You can easily recover your PS4 game files by using a reliable data recovery software, such as Stellar Data Recovery Free Edition. The software can recover the data in a few simple steps. You just need to remove the PS4 hard drive and connect it to a computer. Then, download the software on that computer, launch the software, select the hard drive, scan it, and recover the game files.