The World’s Best Gaming Processor, Made Even Better
Intel’s Core i9-9900K was the first high volume consumer CPU to hit 5 GHz out of the box as well as their first mainstream 8-core CPU. This potent combination has allowed the 9900K to be billed as the ‘Worlds Best Gaming Processor’ by Intel and has allowed it to retain that title for just over a year, even against stiff competition. While we wait for the next generation, Intel has cherry-picked the very best silicon from the best wafers to provide the basis for today’s launch, the Intel Core i9-9900KS Special Edition. This limited-edition CPU boasts an increased base clock over the i9-9900K as well as the out-of-the-box ability to Boost all 8 cores to 5.0GHz at the same time. The world’s best gaming processor just got better!
ProClockers would like to thank Intel for sending the Core i9-9900KS over for us to check out!
Intel’s take on the Core i9-9900KS:
The Intel Core i9-9900KS processor is the latest addition to Intel’s line of unlocked desktop processors, bringing eight cores and sixteen threads of performance to the gaming and performance enthusiast. Gamers and overclocking enthusiasts will be able to take performance to the max with the 9th Gen Intel Core i9-9900KS Special Edition processor. Only select chips from Intel wafers can achieve this specification to run up to 5.0 GHz all-core turbo. Quantity is limited for this special edition product.
An Intel® Z390 chipset-based motherboard is required to optimize some of the features of the Intel® Core™ i9-9900KS processor:
- Up to 5.0 GHz all-core turbo frequency; up to 4.0 GHz base frequency, which allows games to run faster when they scale across more cores for higher frame rates
- Eight cores, 16 threads, 127W TDP, 16 MB Intel Smart Cache, and up to 40 platform PCIe lanes
- Compatible with existing Z390 motherboards
- Up to 27% faster mega-tasking when you simultaneously game, stream, and record compared with a 3-year-old PC
- Up to 35% more frames per second compared with a 3-year-old PC
- Up to 17% faster 4K video editing compared with the previous generation and up to 78% faster compared with a 3-year-old PC
- One-year warranty
- Overclock confidently with new and enhanced features like Intel Performance Maximizer, which makes it easy to dynamically and reliably custom-tune the unlocked processor based on the processor’s individual performance DNA
The 9900KS’ claim to fame is out of the box boosting to 5.0GHz. Unlike the i9-9900K (no ‘S’) which can only boost to 5.0GHz with up to 2 cores active, the 9900KS can boost to 5.0GHz with every single core active. The base clock also gets an 11% bump to 4.0 GHz, up from 3.6GHz. To get this extra headroom, Intel had to increase the Thermal Design Power to 127 Watts, a hefty 33% increase. As any semi-serious overclocker knows, power consumption increases are not linear with clock speed and aggressively pushing clock speeds can spiral power consumption (and heat) out of control quickly, so a 33% increase in power only nets an 11% increase in clock speeds really isn’t unexpected at all.