Should you upgrade your Mac with the OWC Aura Pro X2 NVMe SSD?
The Aura Pro X2 SSD Pro upgrade kits from OWC was intended to upgrade a MacBook, a Mac mini or a Mac Pro, in only fifteen minutes. Compatible with MacBook Pro (2013 – 2015), MacBook Air (2013-2017), Mac Mini (2014), and Mac Pro (2013) – running on macOS 10.13 and newer macOS versions, the OWC Aura Pro X2 SSD is an upgrade that promises to make these devices faster, while bringing a boost in storage space.
Will swapping the old built-in and aged SSD on your Mac with the Aura Pro X2 SSD be a noticeable improvement?
Should you rather choose an M.2+adapter instead of the Aura Pro X2 SSD? Let us check out the specs and how it performs in our tests.
OWC Aura Pro X2 NVMe SSD TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
OWC’s official details and technical specifications for the Aura Pro X2 SSD Pro show that the SSD can reach up to 3200 MB/s read & 2400 MB/s write speed. Here are the full specs:
- Capacity: 240GB, 480GB, 1TB, 2TB
- Performance: up to 3200 MB/s read & 2400 MB/s write speed
- Controller: Silicon Motion SM2262EN
- Flash: 3D TLC NAND
- TRIM Support: OS dependent
- S.M.A.R.T.: Standard
- Interface: NVMe 1.3 (PCIe 3.1 x4)
- Form Factor: 28-pin SSD Module
- Over Provisioning: 7% over provisioning
- System Requirements: macOS 10.13 or later4
- Acoustics: Designed to operate silently
- Dimensions: Width: 0.9 in / Height: 0.1 in / Length: 3.5 in
- Weight: 240GB & 480GB – 8 g, 1TB & 2TB – 9 g