EVGA CLC 120, 240, 280mm Liquid / Water CPU Cooler RGB Roundup Review: Page 3 of 8
Posted by Mark Taliaferro on Monday, October 9, 2017 - 8:00am
A Closer Look EVGA CLC Cooler RGB (Water Cooler) 240mm (EVGA # 400-HY-CL24-V1)
Looking at the box on the EVGA CLC 240mm water cooling solution we get a distinct flashback to the box on the 120mm. Seriously though the packaging is practically identical to the 120mm except larger.
Here again, we find a sturdy cardboard box with a large mass of resilient foam protecting the prize inside. Notice the same cardboard sleeve over the radiator as on the 120mm version.
The same “C” curved fan cases are implemented on all three kits and the waterblock is exactly the same as the 120mm kit. Look at the shine on that waterblock same quality polishing as on the 120mm CLC.
Getting in close on the water block doesn’t reveal any imperfections and the pre-applied thermal paste is on the 240mm CLC. We actually went over all three kits with a fine tooth comb and couldn’t find a single imperfection. We detailed the 4 wire setup on the 120mm CLC and the wiring setup is the same across the 120mm, 240mm, and 280mm.
There will be two fan wires running back to the CPU waterblock so a 4 pin PWM fan cable extender (not included) might be needed for neat cabling. Those fans are capable of 74.82 CFM which is an insane amount of airflow for most CLC/AIO water cooling solutions.
Tilting the EVGA CLC 240mm to the side a bit you can see the curved design on the Teflon Nano Bearings fans included on the kits. The fans are rated at 16 dBA min up to 39.9 dBA maximum and revolutions run from 500 RPM to 2000RPM. What is fascinating is that the Flow Control software can be used to set a fan ramp using the temperature of the CPU which is pretty unheard of in a CLC/AIO water cooling solution.
Here is the mini-USB connector and the fully RGB logo and the nice braided cable isn’t hurting our feelings.
Looking through the fins you won’t find a bent cooling fin scratch or mar on the surface of the radiator anywhere. We have seen radiators come out of boxes with scratched and bent fins and we can honestly tell you it always gives us a feeling of poor manufacturing or poor packing. The EVGA CLC cooling solution gives just the opposite feeling, one of careful design and high-quality manufacturing.
As we mentioned earlier all the kits get exactly the same bundle of hold down equipment and cabling.
- All-in-one cooling solution that is completely self-contained. No filling, no custom tubing, no maintenance. Just plug and play.
- Intelligent wiring system and sleeved tubing makes this one sleek cooler without the messy wires.
- Copper base provides maximum heat transfer.
- Built in 240mm radiator and 2x 120mm fans help dissipate the heat keeping the CPU as cool as possible. Fan can also be swapped or customized.
- Compatible with current and future Intel and AMD sockets.
- Teflon Nano Bearing in the fans reduce noise and increase lifespan, while the curved housing improves air flow through the radiator to limit vibration and noise.
- Variable controlled fans allow dynamic fan speed based on CPU temperature, and the water cooling efficiency means the fans can operate at a lower speed to reduce noise.
- Premium Retention parts for Intel LGA2066/2011/2011-v3/1150/1151/1155/1156/1366 and upcoming variants
- AMD retention ring for supporting AM2/AM3/AM4/FM1/FM2/TR4 and upcoming variants
- 100% Copper
- Fully controllable RGB LED
- Noise Level = 20dB(A) (MAX)
- 276mm X 122mm X 28mm (LxWxH)
- Size: 120 x 120 x 25mm (x2)
- Teflon Nano Bearing
- Speed = 500-2400RPM
- Airflow = 74.82 CFM (MAX)
- Static Pressure = 4.04 mmAq (MAX)
- Noise Level = 16.0 dB(A) (MIN) – 39.9 dB(A) (MAX)
5-Year Limited Warranty