Intel Core i7 6700K CPU Review
Posted by Heath Coop on Wednesday, August 5, 2015 - 6:04am
Today is the day all those Intel fans have been waiting for. The day that has been discussed at times rather passionately. Today is the day, the launch day Intel’s Skylake architecture. Yes the 6th Generation Core i7-6700K and the Core i5-6600K are here. With those new processors is a new architecture, DDR4 memory, and even a new socket. That also means new motherboards as well, as Skylake utilizes the new 100 series Intel chipset.
We will be bringing you reviews of all those new motherboards soon. Today, we will just focus on Skylake, the Core i7-6700K to be precise. As mentioned, there are quite a few changes with this new architecture. The new processor architecture based on Intel’s newest generation 14nm process FinFET lithographic technology. It promises decreased power consumption and increased performance.
One of the most notable new changes is the use of DDR4 memory. DDR4 memory was first introduced with Haswell-E just shy of a year ago. Prices were high and many people stayed away. Since then the prices have dropped and become much more affordable. Where Hawsell was limited to around 2666 MT/s, Skylake bumps that up to a staggering 4133 MT/s.
Skylake also brings Intel latest HD Graphics technology. The Core i7-6700K we are reviewing today features HD 530 graphics and Intel claims that it is dramatically faster than the HD 4000 graphics that came with Haswell.
For Skylake-K, Intel has added more extensive overclocking features, chipset support for NVMe drives. Of course there are the new IPC enhancements that offer up to 10% better performance over Haswell too.
So you may be asking where the non-K processors are. Intel says that these will be released later in Q3. I guess we will just have to wait and see what they have in-store.
Intel's take on the Core i7 6700K
4.0 GHz on All Four Cores
- 4.0 GHz base frequency, 4 Cores, 8 Threads
- NEW!!! Full range Base Clock (BCLK) tuning granularity
- NEW!!! DDR4 support for mainstream gaming systems
- Fully unlocked for performance tuning
- Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0
- Intel® HD Graphics 530 (1150 MHz)
- 8 MB Intel® Smart Cache
- 16 PCI Express* 3.0 lanes
- Processor Overclocking with Intel® Processor “K” SKUs
- NEW!!! PCI Express 3.0 storage support with Intel® Rapid Storage Technology
- NEW!!! Support for processor PCIeExpress* 3.0 1x16, 2x8, or 1x8and 2x4
Unlock the Performance of the 6th gen Intel Core Processor Family
- Up to 30% better performance than a 3-year old PC
- Up to 20% better performance than a 2-year old PC
- Up to 10% better performance than a 1-year old PC
- First mainstream Intel desktop platform to support DDR4 memory
Improved Overclocking Capabilities
- Fully unlocked Turbo that has software/BIOS controlled ratio
- Base Clock (BCLK) ratio-base with full range 1 MHz increments
- DDR ratio override capacities for DDR4 up to 4133 MT/s for an increase in memory frequency
- DDR granularly steps of 100/133MHz for finer grain increments
Enhanced Intel® Z170Chipset Flexibility for Gaming4
- 40% more high speed I/O lanes (USB 3.0 and PCIe3.0)over Intel® 9 Series chipset
- New PCI Express* 3.0 storage support with Intel® Rapid Storage Technology
- Reduced latency
- Performance scales with cores
- Get ready for high-resolution gaming
- Full performance from NVMe drives off the chipset
- Intel Rapid Storage Technology for PCI Express Storage
- New form factors (U.2)
- Ecosystem support collaborating with game developers
- NEW!!! 800 GB SKU
Up next, the specifications and a closer look.