Today Intel releases their new 9th generation Core Processors, an update to the popular Coffee Lake-S Family. Socket LGA 1151 is still retained for this generation and compatibility with all 300 series motherboards including those with the new Z390 chipset. Intel’s mainstream offerings have topped out at 4 cores since the first Consumer quad-core CPU, the Core 2 Quad QX6700 that was released in November 2006. Granted, this was two dual-core dies on an MCM or Multi-Chip Module. The first truly quad-core die was 2 years later in 2008 with the Bloomfield based Core i7-900 series. 9 years later, Intel finally broke the mold with the Core i7-8700K, the first mainstream 6-core CPU. And finally, a year later, Intel brings us the 9th generation family. Today we’ll be taking a closer look at the flagship, the eight-core, sixteen-thread Core i9-9900K.
ProClockers would like to thank Intel for sending the i7-8700K over to check out!
Intel 9th Gen:
Intel’s take on the Core i9-9900K
A New Level of Performance
The 9th Gen Intel® Core™ processor takes mainstream desktop PC performance to a whole new level. At the top of the stack, our mainstream flagship, the new i9-9900K. The first Intel® Core™ i9 desktop processor for the mainstream users. Best in class, the i9-9900K with 16MB of cache1 and Intel® Turbo Boost 2.0 technology cranks maximum turbo frequency up to blazing 5.0 GHz. Throw in high performing 16-way multitasking support powered by 8 cores with Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology (Intel® HT Technology) to conquer the most demanding workloads. Want to reach for even greater levels of performance? — Overclock confidently with new and enhanced features like Solder Thermal Interface Material (STIM) and improved overclocking customizations to tweak the processor performance to its unleashed potential.
The NEW 9th Generation of Intel® Core™ Desktop Processor Delivers:
- A range of processors including the first unlocked Intel® Core™ i9 mainstream desktop processor.
- Data acceleration when paired with Intel® Optane™ memory to retrieve that data you use the most for fast system responsiveness.1
- DDR4 RAM memory technology support, which allows systems to have up to 64 GB of memory and up to 2666 MT/s memory transfer speeds.
- Intel® Z390 chipset support which includes unprecedented connectivity to all of your devices with integrated USB 3.1 Gen 2, Intel® Wireless-AC, and support for Gigabit Wi-Fi speed.
- Compatible with Intel® 300 series chipset.
A shot of Intel’s 9th gen processor dies still on a wafer.