VisionTek DriveXpander Hot-Swap 2.5” Drive Expansion Slot Adapter Review
Posted by Heath Coop on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 8:00am
Typical hot swap drive storage devices are designed to install into the front 5.25" bays of a typical case. These allow users to quickly and easily add or remove a drive depending on their needs. Some cases even come with hot swap bays built in. There is a trend towards eliminating 5.25" bays in new cases though or perhaps the user does not have any free 5.25" bays available. In these situations, there simply wasn’t many options, until recently.
VisionTek has come up with the DriveXpander. The DriveXpander is a rather unique solution that allow the user to add a single 2.5” bay into the rear expansion slot of most PC based desktops and legacy Mac Pros, offering full hot swap capability for SATA 2.5" hard drives and SSDs. It also doe not take up any more room than a typical PCI or PCIe expansion card.
VisionTek's take on the DriveXpander
Whether you’re looking to increase your drive storage capacity, access swapped-out and/or archived drives, or utilize drives like memory cards, the DriveXpander opens up a new world of storage convenience for PC desktop and legacy Mac Pros. After an easy two minute install in any open full sized expansion slot on the back of your machine, you can swap 2.5” SATA hard drives and solid state drives as you desire.
Experience The Power of Storage Convenience
- Adds additional storage capacity when internal bays are filled.
- Offers quick and easy bare drive status verification.
- Access individual drives from a storage array with minimal or no system down time.
- Adds storage capacity to small form factor chassis that don’t offer accessible bays.
- Add removable storage to the rear of a system, where it is less noticeable or accessible to unauthorized users. A great option for HTPCs!
Three Easy Steps to Use A Drive In DriveXpander
- Open drive access lever.
- Gently insert drive until you meet resistance (about ¾ of drive inserted).
- Close drive access lever to fully insert and connect drive.
That’s all you have to do to start reading and/or writing to the drive!
- Tool-free/Screw-less Drive Use: No need for external housing or power adapter. Insert and eject hard drives and solid state drives as easily as a flash memory card.
- Hot-Swap Any 2.5” SATA I/II/III Drive: Access HDDs and SSDs from 7mm to 9.5mm height at will.
- Patented NSS Drive Connector: Non-Scratch SATA connector makes direct connection with drive connector leads to assure over 50,000 problem-free drive insertions.
- SATA 6G Speed: With up to 600MB/s data transfers, you work faster and more efficiently.
- Solid Fit with Any Expansion Slot: Unlike other hot-swap drive adapter designs, the DriveXpander Installs snugly on either PCI or PCIe (with included custom adapter) slots for droop and wiggle-free security.
- Use Status LED: Blue light indicates power, orange indicates drive activity.
- Perforated Backplate and Open Design: Offers effective drive cooling.
- Lockable Drive Access/Eject Lever: Provide security from unauthorized data access.
Let's take a closer look on the next page.