AMD’s latest midrange B450 platform is making quite the splash by offering 99% of what its bigger X470 platform does, but without the price tag to match. The main difference between X470 and B450 is the latter’s lack of being able to split the CPU’s PCIe lanes to more than 1 GPU, but that won’t really matter here on an ITX platform with one slot now will it? We recently checked out the ROG Strix X470-I Gaming so today we’ll check out the new baby brother and you can decide which one you should use.
ProClockers would like to thank ASUS for sending the ROG STRIX B450-I Gaming over to check out!
ASUS’s take on the ROG STRIX B450-I Gaming:
Featuring an innovative riser card that frees up real estate by elevating onboard audio and M.2 storage above the board, the ROG Strix B450-I Gaming packs the complete arsenal of ROG enhancements into the diminutive mini-ITX form factor. With intelligent overclocking and cooling, support for high-performance memory, all the latest connectivity options, and a host of firmware and software utilities that enhance your experience, the ROG Strix B450-I Gaming is a compact gaming powerhouse.
- Powered by 2nd generation AMD® Ryzen™ AM4 processors to maximize connectivity and speed with dual NVMe M.2, USB 3.1 Gen2, 802.11ac WiFi, Gigabit LAN, and up to 32GB of DDR4 (3600 MHz)
- 5-Way Optimization with Auto-Tuning and Fan Xpert 4 automatically tailors overclocking profiles to your unique build for maximum OC performance and dynamic system cooling
- Aura Sync RGB lighting plus 2 additional RGB headers provide a nearly endless spectrum of colors with the ability to synchronize effects across an ever-expanding ecosystem of enabled products
- M.2 audio combo card raises M.2 drives and SupremeFX audio circuitry to minimize lateral interference
- Industry-leading 8-channel HD audio with the ROG exclusive SupremeFX S1220A driven by Japanese capacitors
AM4 socket for AMD Ryzen™ 2nd Generation / Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics / Ryzen™ 1st Generation Processors
The AMD Ryzen™ processor is based on the innovative Zen core architecture and features up to eight cores and Radeon™ Vega integrated graphics. Together with dual-channel DDR4 memory, native 5Gbps USB 3.1 Gen 1 and 16 PCI Express® 3.0/2.0 lanes, these AMD AM4-socket processors deliver superb computing performance.
AMD B450 chipset
The AMD B450 chipset delivers high performance and flexibility with the latest AMD AM4-socket Ryzen™ processors. It also offers AMD StoreMI storage acceleration technology and provides two 10Gbps USB 3.1 Gen2 ports, two USB 3.1 Gen1 ports, and four 6Gbps SATA ports for faster data retrieval.