ASUS ROG STRIX H370-I Gaming Motherboard Review
Posted by Damon Bailey on Tuesday, April 3, 2018 - 8:00am
When Intel announced the 8th generation Core processors last fall, the industry was a bit shocked to see a new platform come out in less than a year after 7th gen Kaby-Lake and Intel 200 series boards. One caveat, 8th generation ONLY works on new 300 series boards. Not that something like that is unprecedented, but we got a full range of new CPUs and exactly ONE chipset to use it on, the flagship Z370. While enthusiasts didn’t mine much, everyone else didn’t see the point of throwing a locked CPU on an expensive platform made for pushing unlocked chips to the breaking point. Nearly six months later, the rest of the 300-series family is finally seeing the light of day. The Mainstream segment of the 300 series is Intel’s H370 chipset, and ASUS is right on time with a brand-new ROG Strix H370-I Gaming to kick it off.
Can a gamer get by on an H370 board? What must you give up to save a few bucks? What are must-have features missing or changed from Z370? We’ll try to answer all of those as we check out ASUS’s new ITX offering.
ProClockers would like to thank ASUS for sending the ROG STRIX H370-I Gaming over to check out!
ASUS’s take on the ROG STRIX H370-I Gaming:
Experience mini-ITX gaming performance with the ROG Strix H370-I Gaming. Gamer’s Guardian with SafeSlot delivers hardware-level protections while you outshine the competition with customizable Aura Sync RGB lighting. Innovative dual M.2 design, USB 3.1 Gen2, dual Gigabit LAN and on-board 802.11ac WiFi deliver maximum connectivity speeds.
- Designed exclusively for 8th generation Intel Core processors to maximize connectivity and speed with dual M.2 (1 x inside double-decker PCH heatsink, 1 x back side), dual Gigabit LAN, onboard 802.11 ac Wi-Fi and Intel Optane Memory compatibility
- ASUS OptiMem improves memory stability and performance by improving trace isolation between PCB layers to maintain signal integrity even at higher frequencies
- Gamer's Guardian with Fan Xpert 4 provides hardware-level safeguards for maximum performance with dynamic system cooling
- Aura Sync RGB lighting with additional 4-pin RGB header features a nearly endless spectrum of colors with the ability to synchronize effects across an ever-expanding ecosystem of Aura Sync enabled products
- Pre-mounted I/O shield ensures streamlined installation and represents ROG's attention to detail and quality
Mini-ITX Form Factor
Intel H370 Chipset
LGA 1151 Socket
DDR4 & Intel Optane Memory Support
2 x M.2 Slots
USB 3.1 Gen 2 | DisplayPort | HDMI
Dual Gigabit LAN | 802.11ac Wi-Fi
Gamer's Guardian & FanXpert 4
Pre-Mounted I/O Shield | ASUS OptiMem
Aura Sync RGB Lighting | PCIe SafeSlots