Gigabyte X299 Aorus Gaming 3 Motherboard Review
Posted by Heath Coop on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 8:00am
The new X299 platform brings a number of new features and enhancements over the previous X99 platform. First and foremost is the ability to utilize the new Skylake-X and Kaby Lake-X 4-18 core X series processors via the new LGA 2066 socket. There’s added support for Intel Optane technology with Rapid Storage, faster throughput times thanks to DMI 3.0. 30 I/O lanes with support for up to 24 PCIe lanes, eight SATA 3.0 ports, and 10 USB 3.0 ports. Overall it’s a nice step up from the X99 chipset.
The X299 Aorus Gaming 3 is Gigabyte’s entry level X299 gaming motherboard. There is support 7th Generation Intel Core HEDT processors. The either DDR4 quad channel memory slots can handle up to 164GB and at speeds up to 4400Mhz and beyond. There’s dual Turbo M.2 with transfer speeds up to 32 Gb/s and eight SATA ports. A total of seven rear USB 3.1 Type- A ports are complimented with an additional USB 3.1 Type-C port and multiple mid-board USB headers.
There’s quite features geared towards gamers. It features the most comprehensive RGB lighting system available, with multiple zones and even rear I/O lighting. Both two-way Nvidia Geforce SLI and three-way AMD CrossFireX configurations are supported. Of course, a full software suite is also included.
Gigabyte's take on the X299 Aorus Gaming 3
- Supports Intel® Core™ X-series Processor Family
- Quad Channel Non-ECC Unbuffered DDR4, 8 DIMMs, DDR4400+(OC)
- Intel® Optane™ Memory Ready
- Intel® VROC ready
- ASMedia 3142 USB 3.1 Gen 2 with USB Type-C™ and Type-A
- 3-Way Graphics Support with Dual Armor and Ultra Durable™ Design
- Server-Class Digital Power Design
- ALC1220 120dB SNR HD Audio with Smart Headphone AMP and WIMA audio capacitor
- RGB FUSION supports Digital LED and RGBW Light Strips
- Smart Fan 5 features Multiple Temperature Sensors and Hybrid Fan Headers with FAN STOP
- Dual Ultra-Fast M.2 with PCIe Gen3 x4 interface
- NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 U.2 support by optional adaptor
- Intel® GbE LAN Gaming Network with cFosSpeed Internet Accelerator Software
- Anti-Sulfur Resistor Design
- Ultra Durable™ 25KV ESD and 15KV Surge LAN Protection
- Lightning-Fast Intel® Thunderbolt™ 3 AIC Support
- GIGABYTE UEFI DualBIOS™
- APP Center Including EasyTune™ and Cloud Station™ Utilities