This past January, Gigabyte officially replaced their G1-Gaming line up with the AORUS brand with the launch of Intel’s Z270 chipset. Originally designated for their high-end laptops, the AORUS name is now branded on Gigabyte’s graphics cards and motherboards. Now, less than a year later, Intel has launched their 8th generation of Core processor’s and their all new Z370 chipset. Although the Z370 chipset is still sporting the same LGA 1151 socket, the Z370 chipset only supports the new 8th generation of Core processors. So, if you plan to upgrade to the 8th generation, it will require a new motherboard.
Gigabyte has always been one of the best names in motherboards. When the AORUS line up launched, it only improved on their long standing G1-Gaming line up. Now, with the addition of 2 more cores across all product lines from the Core i3 up to the i7, we can only assume that they will continue to improve. However, is worth the upgrade from the 7th, ot even 6th generation? Gigabyte recently sent us their all new Z370 Ultra Gaming motherboard to test with the Core i7 8700k. So let’s see how it compares to previous generations and what improvements they made over Z270.
ProClockers would like to thank Gigabyte for sending the Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming over to check out!
Gigabyte’s take on the Aorus Z370 Gaming Ultra:
Intel Z370 Gaming motherboard with RGB Fusion, Digital LED support, Dual M.2, 120dB SNR ALC1220, Intel Gaming LAN, Front USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C & Rear USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C, Smart Fan 5, Anti-Sulfur Resistors
- Supports 8th Gen Intel® Core™ Processors
- Dual Channel Non-ECC Unbuffered DDR4, 4 DIMMs
- Intel® Optane™ Memory Ready
- ASMedia 3142 USB 3.1 Gen 2 with USB Type-C™ and Type-A
- Front USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C™ Header
- Multi-Way Graphics Support with Dual Armor and Ultra Durable™ Design
- ALC1220 120dB SNR HD Audio with Smart Headphone AMP and WIMA audio capacitors
- Intel GbE LAN Gaming Network with cFosSpeed Internet Accelerator Software
- RGB FUSION with Multi-Zone Digital LED Light Show design, support digital LED & RGB LED strips
- Swappable Overlay for Accent LED
- Smart Fan 5 features Multiple Temperature Sensors and Hybrid Fan Headers with FAN STOP
- Dual Ultra-Fast M.2 with PCIe Gen3 x4 & SATA interface
- USB DAC-UP 2 with Adjustable Voltage
- Anti-Sulfur Resistors Design
- Ultra Durable™ 25KV ESD and 15KV Surge LAN Protection
- Lightning-Fast Intel® Thunderbolt™ 3 AIC Support
- APP Center Including EasyTune™ and Cloud Station™ Utilities
Intel Z370 and 8th generation Core Desktop Platform:
Be ready for amazing experiences in gaming, VR, and entertainment wherever your computing takes you with the 8th Generation Intel® Core™ processor family. This new generation of processors extends all the capabilities users have come to love in our desktop platforms with advanced innovations that deliver exciting new features to immerse you in incredible experiences on a variety of form factors.
Exceptional Platform Performance The 8th Generation Intel Core processors redefine mainstream desktop PC performance with up to six cores for more processing power—that’s two more cores than the previous generation Intel Core processor family—Intel® Turbo Boost 2.0 technology to increase the maximum turbo frequency up to 4.7 GHz, and up to 12 MB of cache memory. Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology - delivers up to 12-way multitasking support in the latest generation of Intel Core processors. For the enthusiast, the unlocked 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8700K processor provides you the opportunity to tweak the platform performance to its fullest potential and enjoy great gaming and VR experiences. The new 8th Generation Intel Core processor family delivers • An impressive portfolio of standard and unlocked systems for a broad range of usages and performance levels.
• New system acceleration when paired with Intel® Optane™ memory to deliver amazing system responsiveness.
• Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 technology to give you that extra burst of performance when you need it.
• Intel Hyper-Threading technology, which allows each processor core to work on two tasks at the same time, improving multitasking, speeding up workflows, and accomplishing more in less time.
• DDR4 RAM memory technology support, which allows systems to have up to 64 GB of memory and up to 2666 MT/s memory transfer speeds.
• The ability to set an overclocked ratio per core with unlocked processors,1 when paired with select chipset SKUs, to provide you more control and more granularity for overclocking your platform.