ASUS ROG Poseidon GTX 1080 TI Platinum Edition Review
Posted by Damon Bailey on Friday, December 1, 2017 - 8:00am
Water cooling has long been the realm of a few brave DIY enthusiasts for a few decades now and only recently has started being available to many. Even still, most enthusiasts are faced with a dilemma, keep your warranty intact and hope you have a decent air cooler on your GPU, or throw a water block on to not only cool the GPU, but also the burn of instantly voiding any and all warranties. A few manufacturers have responded with factory water-blocked cards, but then you HAVE to water cool or you can’t even power it on safely. Enter ASUS with the Poseidon series, part air cooler, part water block, and all business.
Your Choice of Chill: the moniker of the Poseidon family. Start with Air cooling and move to water-cooling without even removing the card from your system, or go straight to liquid without having to do surgery on your frame crunching baby. The new terminal block opens up custom loop plumbing routing and easy multi-GPU setups similar to aftermarket water blocks, without tearing things apart. The 2.5 Slot cooler provides 40% more cooling surface ensuring icy temps even without liquid. Is it possible to have your cake and eat it too? Can this solution really provide great cooling performance on air AND be able to easily do liquid cooling too? We certainly aim to find out!
ProClockers would like to thank ASUS for sending the 1080Ti Poseidon Platinum over to chill with! (See what we did there?)
Air or Liquid – Your Choice of Chill
Liquid cooling has evolved to the point where it is not only about delivering superior cooling performance but also add personalized style to your gaming system.
The ROG Poseidon graphics card delivers on both fronts. With next-gen DirectCU H20 hybrid cooling and Patented Wing-Blade 0dB Fans that let you choose between air and liquid cooling, the ROG Poseidon combines superb performance with convenient flexibility. When it comes to aesthetics, ASUS Aura Sync and a unique, infinite-reflection design provide stunning RGB lighting effects, allowing you to build a gaming system that truly outshines the competition.
- 1733 MHz Boost Clock (OC Mode) featuring 11GB GDDR5X 352-bit memory and 3584 CUDA cores
- Next-gen DirectCU H2O hybrid cooling for cooler performance than reference on air and water, with standard G1/4-inch terminal block for easier custom water loops than ever
- ASUS Aura Sync RGB lighting with additional 4-pin RGB header provides a nearly endless spectrum of colors on the shroud and backplate with the ability to synchronize effects across an ever-expanding ecosystem of ASUS Aura Sync enabled products
- Patented wing-blade 0dB fans with FanConnect II maximizes cooling performance using three axial fans to deliver 105% more air pressure and dual 4-pin headers for referencing chassis fans to GPU temperatures
- GPU Tweak II makes monitoring performance and streaming easier than ever, featuring Game Booster and a free 1-year premium license of XSplit Gamecaster